Who is a Certified Family Law Specialist?
WHAT CAN A CERTIFIED FAMILY LAW SPECIALIST DO FOR YOU?
From the brochure of The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
Whether your situation is simple or complex, you should consider hiring an attorney who specializes in Family Lw and who is committed through certification to maintaining her or his proficiency through continual practice and continuing education.
Why does the State Bar certify legal specialists?
- To help the public identify attorneys who have demonstrated proficiency in specialized fields of law;
- To encourage the maintenance and improvement of attorney competence in specilized fields of law.
The Family law is complex and constantly changing- a Certified Specialist stays current with the law.
What does it mean when an attorney is a Certified Specialist?
A Certified Specialist is more than just an attorney who specializes in a particular area of law. A California attorney who is certified by the State Bar as a Family Law specialist must have:
- Taken and passed a written examination in Family Law;
- Demonstrated a high level of experience in Family Law;
- Fulfilled ongoing education requirements;
- Been favorably evaluated by other attorneys and judges familiar with her or his work.
What can a Certified Family Law specialist do for you?
- Make certain marital settlement agreements and pre- or post-nuptial agreements are properly prepared;
- Identify tax issues which may affect the distribution of marital property and the payment of child, spousal of family support;
- Help you effectively deal with complex legal issues involving community property laws;
- Negotiate or mediate the difficult and emotional issues relating to legal separation, dissolution of marriage and child custody;
- Protect clients who need restraining orders for domestic violence;
- Handle matters relating to modification of child custody, spousal support or child support;
- Offer a collaborative process enabling clients to resolve their issues without court intervention.
In what other fileds of law are attorneys certified by the State Bar?
- Appellate Law
- Bankruptcy Law
- Criminal Law
- Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law
- Franchise and Distribution Law
- Immigration and Naturalization Law
- Taxation Law
- Worker’s Compensation Law
What you do NOW affects your future. Hire a Certified Specialist
How can I find a Certified Specialist?
- For an alphabetical list by county of certified Family Law specialists, contact:
The State Bar of California
Office of Special Admission and Specilization
180 Howard Street